Saturday, February 18, 2012

Now I Feel Old - Architectural Artifacts, Post 7

These shots are all from one display.  It wasn't the easiest place to shoot because all the boxes were in a glass display case in a ridiculously dark corner of the place.

This is how I remember Tide looking when I was a kid.  Given my absolutely *stupid* skin problems, I've had to keep the same detergent for most of my life, so I've seen Tide go through more than a few changes in packaging.  Though I don't know anyone today who would get worked up about 3 cents off a box of laundry soap today, that would probably cost around $10.00 for the same weight.

Here's most of the display.  Some of the things printed on the boxes then would just not be okay in anyway today.  I know a lot of them are over 50 years old, but still... Specifically, look at the box about two-thirds up on the left hand side.  That picture would *never* play in the 21st century.

And also, just because I'm on a Sherlock Holmes kick right now, I keep reading that light blue one almost in the middle as "Lestrade".  But that would be different. )

This sign baffles me.  The sign is made of aluminum or tin and is perfectly preserved in a nice wooden frame.  So clearly it has some value to someone.  But I cannot find thing one about Polly Stamps on the internet.  I can find another piece of advertising - some clocks on eBay - but that's it.  Anyone know the history of these mystery "Polly Stamps"?  I can find that they were some sort of trading stamps, but I can't find a decade or any kind if info article anywhere.  All that seems to have survived is their various advertising mechanisms.  Weirdness.

And this last bit.  There was a large wall clock down where my group gathered, so I was doing a few test shots to test the light and such.  I isolated a bit of it because I'm interested in what appears to be some kind of water damage.  Like the face got rained on.  Which is odd, right?  Because there's glass on the clock itself if it was hung outside or something.  And if it was in a flood or other environment where the clock was submerged, it certainly wouldn't show *spots*.  The clock is marked with "New Haven Clock Company, New Haven, Conn." right under the hand visible in the photo.  Apparently this company made clocks between 1853 and 1902 under this name.  Apparently in 1902 it was reorganized, but still made clocks until World War II, at which point the company switched over to producing goods for the war.  They went back to clocks and watches once the war ended, but they folded completely in 1960.  So... old clock!


Also, I'm discovering that Blogspot is doing weird things with posting and not posting some of my articles.  I'm seeing that some weird things are happening with titles.  I'm going to go in and play with things and try to make it behave, but if you see something weird, I'd love a comment telling me what's gone wonky. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment